The Art Gallery of Ascoli Piceno is considered one of the most illustrious of the Marche Region. It is housed in the northern and western wings of the Town Hall building, in Piazza Arringo. The Gallery was established in 1861 on the initiative of Giorgio Paci and Giulio Gabrielli, both natives of Ascoli. In 1921, the most representative works were selected to form the present collection.
The works on display come from convents, churches and private donations from local individuals such as Antonio Ceci and Ernesto Verrucci. Counts Sgariglia’s family donated their private furniture collection.
The Gallery houses a remarkable number of canvas and panel paintings dating from the XIV to the XX century as well as sculptures, detached frescoes, numismatic collections, ceramic pieces, prints and drawings, musical instruments and miniatures.
The collection includes works by Tiziano, Tintoretto, Guido Reni, Carlo Crivelli, Pietro Alamanno, Cola dell’Amatrice, Giuseppe Pellizza da Volpedo, Luca Giordano, Alessandro Magnasco (known as “il Lissandrino”, Bernardo Bellotto (known as “il Secondo Canaletto”), Ferdinando Cicconi, Strozzi and others.
Many works by local artists are also on display; it is noteworthy to mention those by Giulio Cantalamessa, Giulio Gabrielli, Dino Ferrari and Giulia Centurelli as well as the sculptures by Ercole Rosa, Tenerani, Del Gobbo, Panichi, Ximenes and Ortenzi.