Porta Tufilla is one of Ascoli’s gateways. It is situated on the Tronto embankment, one of its sides flanking the river and facing the Ponte Nuovo and the Ponte Tufillo. The Gate was named after a small tuff rock at the base of the arch, on which its reconstruction started. Architect Camillo Merli, in fact, built Porta Tufilla between 1552 and 1555 on the foundations of a pre-existing gate, as evidenced by the epigraph on the string course, which reads: “PAULO III PONT: MAX. MDLV”.
Porta Tufilla admin 2017-01-10T20:07:59+00:00